Volunteer Equalities Ambassadors are a crucial part of EaRN’s work; they provide a valuable link between decision makers and those most affected by poverty, inequality and discrimination. They are trained and supported by the EaRN Development Worker, EaRN Communications Coordinator and EaRN Members.
What is an Equalities Ambassador?
The role of an Equalities Ambassador varies according to the skills, experience and interest of the individual Ambassador. However, all Equalities Ambassadors will:
- Champion the interests of one or more protected group(s)*
- Share their own experiences of marginalisation, discrimination and inequalities where appropriate
- Listen to and share other people’s experience of marginalisation, discrimination and inequalities
- Communicate the changes that those affected want and need
- Help to identify common priorities and issues between different groups
- Communicate with public agencies on equalities and rights, and poverty and inequality issues
- Provide a link between public agencies, identified protected group(s), EaRN Members and the EaRN Board
- Champion equalities and rights for all
* Protected groups are defined under the 2010 Equality Act as:
- Gender Reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
People who fall within one or more of these groups are protected by law from discrimination, harassment or victimisation of themselves, or those they are associated with.
Who can become an Equalities Ambassador?
Volunteer Equalities Ambassadors don’t need experience in equality and rights as full training will be provided. More important is enthusiasm about equalities and rights and a willingness to learn. Each Ambassador will bring their own strengths, skills and life experience to the role, but all will be expected to be:
- Aware of equalities and rights issues
- Open minded and non-judgemental
- Willing to listen and learn
- Comfortable communicating on behalf of others
- Prepared to accurately report back on communications
How do I apply?
To apply to be an Equalities Ambassador, or for more information, get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org